ICEI'S PROGRAMME SHOULD BURN IN HELL



THAT'S IT, I SAID IT. I DON'T GIVE A DAMN IF LAUREANO CHECA LOOK IN THIS GOD FORSAKEN BLOG.

First things first: I don't have the same programme than most of ICEI's students. I was the last generation with -what we use to call it- the old programme. So this post won't have any sense. Fuck it, I'm gonna do it anyway.

In my programme most of the journalistic courses take place in the first years. Things as basic as reporting are learned as quick as possible. The thing is that, in your final years -such as myself- the academic programme gives preference to mostly theoric courses. Those are as important as the journalistic ones -in fact, those are the ones that define Universidad de Chile journalist career-, but as you get close to your professional practice most of your pure journalistic skills gets rusty because you learned the core of that like 3 or 4 years ago? And most of those courses have no continuity over time. You are lucky if you have just one that follow the same line.

And this is not just something you can remember only by checking your notes of the class. Journalism is not only a job. It is an office that requieres practice. If you don't work it, you lose it. As simple as that.

On the same line of thought, the teaching methods are like mixing mentos with Coca Cola. It can go wherever it can. The liberty of cathedra allow teachers to teach the way they consider the best. That's a good think if you ask me, but only if you put some basic standars not only in the programme of the course but in the methods themselves. For example, in a writing course I had when I was in my first year the teacher made us write all the time. No time for reading. Screw-it-then-fix-it teaching philosophy. On the other hand, a friend of mine had a polar opposite of a teacher: just lectures. Definitely both groups will have valuable formations, but for God sake don't tell me that just because mere random chance you can have such a disparity of knowledge.

Because of the nature of journalism itself, I think the academic workload is quite lower that in other careers -I don't know, laws for example-, and that's fine by me, but also I think that some teachers use that as an excuse to be underachievers. "It's just journalism, don't overthink it". That affect us directly.

I hate ICEI I hope it dies I dont want to write more blessings bye uwu

Comentarios

Publicar un comentario

Entradas populares